Tuesday 22 July 2014

VOC I - session 1

As I go back over the sessions we had in VOC I, here I report on what my findings were, what the groups presented and how I find it relevant to my own pedagogical learning and working life. All of these session reports will also be found here, from my own blog's VOC I page.

Session 1, 17.9.2013

For the first session, we acted as the Chair Group, which simply meant that we had to supervise the other groups in terms of timekeeping and making sure that things flowed technically. For me, it wasn’t difficult and I even found it enjoyable as there was no heavy burden to present anything, so in that sense it was an easy start. At the same time, I was able to follow and participate in the other groups’ presentations.

Team Dewey: What is learning?

This proved to be a wide-ranging look at many different theories and theorists. We learned about Howard Gardner’s Multiple Intelligences, David A. Kolb’s Experimental Learning, Maslow’s Heirarchy of Needs, Behaviourism & Cognitivism and Humanism & Constructivism. To cover so much in such a short session was ambitious, but there was still space to discuss and digest these ideas. A lot of things at this stage fall into the category of being at the same time new and familiar, because they are grounded in common sense, so we can immediately understand what is being discussed and why it is relevant.

Multiple Intelligences is one subject we covered during the contact session and that’s also something that I have some to appreciate in my own teaching. I think I am keeping it more firmly at the front of my mind that students just do have different ways of learning and that there’s real empirical value in tailoring the studies to best fit different styles. For me, the significance of this cannot be overstated.



References:
http://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/custom/resources_ftp/client_ftp/ks3/ict/multiple_int/index.htm (an interesting site where you can take a test to see what your own style of intelligence is)


Team Freire: The role of learning styles in teaching/tutoring

After covering some basics of education/learning theory, Team Freire concentrated on developing an understanding of McCarthy’s 4mat Theory of learning styles.

To summarize, this involves four basic styles of learning as follows:

Type One
Imaginative Learning–Feeling and watching, seeking personal associations, meaning, involvement.
Making connections. Key question: Why?

Type Two
Analytic Learning–Listening to and thinking about information; seeking facts, thinking through ideas; learning what the experts think. Formulating ideas. Key question: What?

Type Three
Common Sense Learning–Thinking and doing. Experimenting, building, creating usability. Tinkering.
Applying ideas. Key question: How?

Type Four
Dynamic Learning–Doing and feeling. Seeking hidden possibilities, exploring, learning by trial and error, self-discovery. Creating original adaptations. Key question: If?

Again, for me this is something I can accept without friction. If I had to bracket myself into one of these styles, I think I would go along with either Two or Three. I always want to know what the smart folks have thought about the issues before, so I want to be quite academic in my reseach and read lots of books. Then, I find real value in playing with subject, experimenting, tinkering with ideas and testing things in (sometimes very tight) frames, to see how they work under pressure and if I can really get my head around them.

One real challenge in here is finding out what makes the students tick and that can often be a case of trial and error. I think it’s important, especially when you don’t know the learners well enough, to present a wide variety of different styles and then pay close attention to what they seem to respond best to.

References:

Team Vygotsky: What is progressive learning?

The last session, from Team Vygotsky was just as interesting and informative as the other two. To tackle this issue, we looked at Kai Hakkarainen’s model of Progressive Inquiry and compared it to Kolb’s Experiential Learning.

Below you can see roughly what it looks like and how it seeks to mirror the same methods employed in the scientific community. This is especially useful in learning when it takes place within a  group and the target is problem solving and knowledge building. In my own experience, I have employed something similar when working with groups of students in game design project and it’s much better (and I feel much more confident with it) if I have a concrete theory to fall back on and a good working plan.



References:

No comments:

Post a Comment