Thursday 24 July 2014

VOC I - session 4

Session 4: 29.10.2013

For the fourth and final virtual session of VOC I, the Chair Group was Vygotsky, meaning ourselves and the two other groups presented during the 55-minute long sessions. I will begin by reporting on our own group…

Team Piaget – Group Dynamics

For me, this was arguably the most interesting subject to deal with during the whole of the VOC I virtual session course. I have for a long time been interested in this subject and have had some experience working with a consultancy firm in Oslo, dealing with such matters as how teams can best work together.

During the research phase for our presentation, I was able to lean on my Norwegian counterparts for some tips about which thinkers they are using and they suggested I go back to Belbin and his models of teamwork, which I was happy to do.



We also looked at Tuckman’s model of the stages of team development, which was another eye-opening experience for those taking part.

The discussions were fruitful and insightful. Everyone has experience of working in a team and people instinctively understand the challenges that came come from that, so there’s real gratitude when tools for dealing with teamwork are presented. For me, this is such a key component to successful classroom productivity that I want to work on this more and more in my own time, too.

References:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByzDy4uXDKaubUhHOGRBSGZCanc/edit (Where you can find the whole presentation PowerPoint as well as all of the sources)


Team Dewey – The role of vocational education in the whole of Finnish education

The subject matter for Team Dewey was a complicated one, but they dealt with it well. They had one interview with one project manager, Leena Happonen, who was able to lay out the significance of vocational education in the bigger picture, with specific reference to the use of having those close ties to the working community.

Looking at the challenges that face vocational education brought about through maximizing the working-life connection, there appear to many and all of them significant. For my part, it was interesting to listen to this kind of thing as I have personally found many challenges in my own work in trying to foster good, working relationships with work practice places. 

The greatest challenge for me has been a lack of resources, meaning that there just hasn’t been enough time to go to all the places and strike up a solid working relationship with the people there. It’s good to know I’m not alone and others also feel that this challenge needs attention.

And we watched this video:



Team Freire – What is expected of a vocational teacher?

The kicking off point for this discussion was the core competences for the vocational teacher, as laid out by our own school.



This is something that we have covered before, but it’s really useful, I find, to go back and look at things again and see that the meanings have changed or become clearer over time and also that what you focused on a few months ago might be different to now. This is a sign of good progress, I think, when understanding is developing and changing due to studies.

Some other topics which came up in this discussion were equality and sustainability, which is important for everyone in all walks of life, not just teachers. This is something that gets covered later on in greater detail, too.

References:

No comments:

Post a Comment